Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year - Adventure and Discoveries



I love the week of New Year's because it gives me a chance to reflect not so much on the past year, but what's yet to come. I love standing on the threshold of possibilities and unknowns.

A entire year awaits me to discover so many things that I could never imagine. Perhaps this is why the holidays hold so much excitement. The magic of exploring another year is one of the great adventures. It's all out there in the future just waiting to unfold.

This is the same feeling I have each time I start to write a book. Being a by-the-seat-of-the-pants kind of writer, means my motivation for writing is simple - I want to know what's going to happen next. I can guarantee that if I were to know what was in store for a story and how it would end, I wouldn't write the book. What would be the point?

The fun part for me as a writer is equal to that as me as a reader. The unknown and the excitement of discovery all urge me to write more. Find out more.

So the day after New Year's Day, I find myself asking these questions as I finish writing a vampire book. What's going to happen next? How is it going to end? When I find the answers to these questions, I'll be typing The End. After all, it's about the adventure, not the final destination. May your new year be full of love, romance and adventure!

No comments: