Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fact versus fiction

Weekends are my time to write, to get lost in another world and follow the adventures of someone whose life is far different than my own.

Yes, far FAR different. A point that became real clear yesterday. I got up, checked my email and had a message from a fan...."I bet your life is really interesting and exciting."

Oh my yes. While working on a scene where my heroine gets slicked down with scented soap in the shower then gets an added bonus from the oh-so-fine fellow sharing the shower, I realized that this was my weekend to take on a project I'd been putting off.

Regrouting the shower.

Oh the thrill, the joy, the excitement. I had to laugh. I guess I could use that and have my heroine or hero grouting a shower and it turn into something sexy and slippery. But sliding around on wet grout isn't exactly appealing. I mean, when that stuff dries, it's hard!! But I did consider it. After all, we writers are encouraged to write what we know, correct?

Hmmmm... I know how to hammer a nail ... now where can I use that? Oh I know. In dialogue... "well, I think you've hammered that nail home."

I can lay brick. Where would that be useful? His bicep was hard as brick? How about driving a tractor or back-hoe? Oh I can't even write what comes to mind there.

As for the grout -- well now my shower looks brand new. My hands are raw, my back hurts and I'm still finding bits of hard grout adhered to me even after two showers (in another bathroom, thank you. Not going to mess up my handiwork).

All in all Saturday was good. Now I have a day to write. Write what you know, write what you know. Maybe I'll let my character fall off a building while setting a roof truss, land in mud and be rescued by the hunk on the other end of the truss. Mud might dry but if you wet it, it DOES wash off.

Happy Weekend!!
Ci

1 comment:

Sally Painter said...

OMG, Ci! I can so seeing you do all those things, but the tub grouting. Now that I resemble. Hugs!