Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What I know about romance...

What I know about romance? Unlike my sistah, Sally, if you take everything I know, bundle it together ... well you might fill a thimble. Seriously, I am romantically challenged. A fact that became abundantly clear last week when I was on vacation.

My neighbors were in from across the pond (from Europe) and they were over having drinks. They were preparing for a 4 day cruise and were talking about how romantic it was going to be. Dressing up, dining, strolls on deck, drinking, dining, sitting on deck, etc.

Well, to be honest it all rounded rather boring to me. Dressing up? Ugh. Dining? Ding dong- hear the bell, I'm a vegetarian, we typically don't get jazzed by food. Strolls on deck, drinking, dining? Oh someone shoot me.

And naturally you know I expressed my opinion. (I'm nothing if not opinionated). But it a nice kind of way .. something along the lines of "I'd rather have a root canal."

That sparked conversation. What was wrong with me? Didn't I like romance? And just what DID I consider romanctic? Wellllll... yeah, I guess I am a little. Mu honey can take me whitewatering or rock climbing or hiking, or riding (horse or dirt bike)and at the end of the day build me a nice fire and let me sit or sleep under the stars and I'm completely swooned. He can rent me a bulldozer and let me dig up some earth and I'm really frisky. He can buy me a new chainsaw and he'll definitely get lucky. Or he can take me out for a day on the disc golf course and when we're getting cleaned up from our day, I'll be very affectionate.

Buy me flowers? Not unless I can plant them. Why kill a plant? Bring me candy? Oh yes, please. I already spend two hours a day at the gym... bring me something that will increase that and I'm more apt to growl than meow.

My friends stared at me in horror. I apparently don't have a romantic bone in my body (According to them) - in fact, I apparently have quite "manish" taste. Hmmmmm... well I guess they're right. I've spent my life "hanging with the boys", getting dirty, playing, raising a little hell and having a whole lot of fun. BUT...

I have a man who tells me that life is nothing without me (what a smooth talker, eh?) and who backs it up every morning when he brings me coffee in bed and every night when he gives me that delicious back or foot massage. I get warm and fuzzy just snuggling up on the couch and watching television or piled up together in bed reading.

Does that count?

And where is it written that a woman HAS to like being wined and dined, taken on lavish trips and have a ton of money spent on her to qualify as romantic? Isn't that a rather materialistic attitude?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but money (and the things it buys) not only does not buy happiness, it also doesn't spell romance.

But hey, I could be wrong. Maybe romance isn't part of my vocabulary. Someone want to lend me a dictionary?

Hope you're having a great week!!

Hugs to all,
Ci

No comments: